There are SOOOO many water bottles available on the market! Plastic, glass, stainless steel…..sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming as to which one to choose! But one thing is for sure, it’s definitely not the best choice to use single use plastic bottles. These can not only be harmful to our health but also detrimental to the environment. Plastic free bottles are the best way to keep hydrated as they are reuseable and toxin free. Check out 3 of my top picks!
Why should we even use drink bottles?
It’s a great idea to have a water bottle on hand every day to keep well hydrated to maintain good health.
Did you know that kids in sport are more susceptible to dehydration than adults? This is due to different thermoregulation rates so it is always a good idea to encourage hydration before, during and after training. Plastic free bottles at training are a great way to promote regular drinking.
For the rest of us who are active, it is also important to rehydrate regularly to replace fluids lost from sweat. Having a drink bottle on hand, not only at training but before and after, is a great way to encourage us to replenish too!
What’s the problem with plastic bottles?
1. Potential health risk?
The full impact of plastics on human health is not yet known but there is mounting evidence that certain key components in plastics, particularly bisphenol-A (BPA) and phthalates, can be detrimental to human health.
Based on current research, there are however, some plastics that do appear to be safer than others.
- #1 PET, #2 HDPE, #4 LDPE and #5 PP are non BPA materials.
- The plastics to avoid are labelled #3, #6, and some types of #7.
You can usually find the #number of the plastic from which your bottle is made by simply looking for it on the underneath or base of the bottle.
For a full list by identification number and more details about the potential risks associated with plastics in food and drink packaging, take a look at “How to fuel the active, eco friendly and plastic free”.
2. Bad for the Environment
Not only is plastic a potential concern for our health, it can be hazardous to our environment.
- Single use plastics like straws, plastic shopping bags, sandwich and snack bags, are all particularly a worry as they end up nearly immediately in landfill. Not only is it unsightly, but toxins from the landfill can leach into our environment over time. This can pollute our land, ground water and waterways. In addition, greenhouse gases emitted from landfill have implications for global warming and climate change.
- Plastic debris also lands up in our waterways causing danger to our marine life. This is mainly in the form of entanglement or ingestion when marine life mistake it for food.
3 of my favourite reusable drink bottles
1. S’well Bottle
So in love with my White Lace S’well Bottle*!
It not only looks gorgeous (don’t you think?) but it definitely one of the best totally plastic free bottles on the market!
Key features of the S’well bottle include:
- This bottle is made of double-walled stainless steel, keeping your drinks hot for 12 hours or cold for 24 hours.
- It comes in a range of sizes from 250ml, 500ml to 750ml.
- And it also comes in a range of colours and designs to suit all tastes!
Check out the S’well bottle range from Biome Stores here*.
2. BBBYO Tea Flask
When I’m not using my S’well bottle, I always have my BBBYO Glass Tea Flask with Banana Leaf cover* on hand!
It’s so great for not only hot tea in winter, but iced tea or other flavour infused water in the summer.
Key features of the BBBYO Glass Tea Flask bottle include:
- This bottle is made of double-walled heat resistant borosilicate glass that keeps your drinks hot for 12 hours or cold for 24 hours.
- It comes with a precision brewing filter for tea, coffee or infused water.
- The cover not only provides protection for the glass but helps keep your drinks hot or cold.
- The BBBYO Glass Tea Flask comes in a 500ml size and in a variety of beautiful cover designs.
- It’s dishwasher safe to make cleaning easy.
Check out the BBBYO Glass Tea Flask bottle range and other BBBYO bottles from Biome Stores here*.
3. Lifefactory Glass Water Bottle
It was difficult to find completely plastic free bottles that had an easy to access or flip mouth without having to detach a lid first. Most drink bottle mouth pieces are made of some sort of plastic derivative, but if this convenience is important, especially for ease during training, make sure you choose a phthalate and BPE free option.
This Lifefactory Glass Water Bottle flip-top* is a practical and toxin free option for those preferring this lid option like my girls!
Key features of this Life Factory bottle include:
- It has a non-toxic silicone sleeve. This protects the bottle from breakage and is also a great gripping surface.
- This bottle has a flip-top lid for easy drinking.
- Made from glass, there is no chemical leaching and no metallic taste.
- The wide mouth bottle makes it easy to add ice, thick smoothies etc.
- Both the bottle and its sleeve can be put in the dishwasher together.
- The 650ml bottle is a great size to keep you hydrated, but this bottle does also come in various other sizes and with different lid options and cover colours.
Check out the Lifefactory range from Biome Stores here*.
You can check out Biome’s full range of top quality, toxin free, BPA free water bottles here*.
Plastic Free July
It is currently Plastic Free July!
Plastic Free July aims to raise awareness of the issues of using single-use disposable plastic and challenges people to do something about it.
Make a difference by reducing single-use plastics in your daily life, not only for your own health but to make a positive impact on the environment.
And for your chance to WIN a $100 Biome voucher each week during this July, choose the item you are going to give up and take the Biome Plastic Free Pledge. Enter HERE.
More Plastic Free Ideas
In addition to these plastic free bottles, get more plastic free ideas, including lunch boxes, mason jars, sandwich wraps and icypole moulds, check out these blog posts:
- How to fuel the active, eco friendly and plastic free
- 10 yummy, easy and healthy lunches to go!
- What is so special about this berry pomegranate popsicle?
Disclaimer: *Active + Nourished received these plastic free bottles featured in this post complimentary from Biome Stores. All comments expressed are my own views. For further information please refer to our Disclosure Policy. Active + Nourished is also a Biome affiliate. This means that if you choose to purchase through these links we will receive a small commission from the sale. This is at no extra cost to you. This will assist in the development and maintenance of the Active + Nourished website.