We all love a treat, and even more so during Christmas celebrations. But sometimes it can be hard not to overindulge, especially over the holidays. Mostly nice and just a little bit naughty, here’s my list of 6 quick, easy, yummy and healthier treats for the festive season!
Healthier Treats for the Festive Season
1. Choc coated oat, chia and coconut balls
Super easy treats, I simply rolled up these energy balls of oats, chia and coconut, coated them with melted 70% cacao dark chocolate then topped them with crushed pistachios and pomegranate arils. Delicious and healthy, and super festive too!
2. Watermelon ice cream wedges
Ok firstly, so sorry about my half melted ice cream! But I assure you, this was still yum!
For this treat, I simply topped cut watermelon wedges with a heaped teaspoon scoop of pistachio ice cream, fresh strawberries, mint, and crushed pistachios. Great for a refreshing and super quick summer dessert!
3. Choc coated frozen bananas
These choc banana popsicles are so easy and delicious to whip up!
- Just cut some bananas in half,
- Insert reusable popsicle sticks,
- Dip in melted chocolate (once again, I’ve used dairy free dark chocolate with at least 70% cacao for higher antioxidants),
- Then swirl in your favourite coverings! I’ve coated these with pomegranate, crushed mixed nuts and coconut and goji berries!
4. Yogurt Bark
Here’s a quick and yummy dessert or snack made with yogurt, raspberries, pistachios, granola, vanilla, pepitas and pistachios.
Check out the blog post, “How to Delight with my Easy Festive Yogurt Bark” for the full recipe. Again, so easy to prep and have made ahead of time.
5. Baked plum tarts
Give these rustic little tarts a try. So festive and very yum!
- Simply cut round discs in some puff pastry,
- Spread on top a mix of almond meal and organic rice malt syrup,
- Then layer with thinly sliced Black Diamond plums that have been tossed in a touch of pure maple syrup.
- Fold over the edges of the pastry.
- Pop the tarts on a lined baking tray and into a 190 degree preheated fan forced oven for around 20-25minutes or until the pastry is golden. Enjoy!!
6. Frozen lemon berry tarts
The last idea for my healthier treats for the festive season is this frozen lemon berry tart.
They are actually a combination of 2 totally different recipes – the base is a Honey and Lemon Breakast Bar with oats, pepitas and chia which I pressed into muffin moulds. Then I topped this layer with a berry & orange smoothie and fresh strawberries to finish!
It’s so fun to mix up and adapt recipes to inspire new creations! But you can create your own tarts by using an oat slice base and any smoothie combo you like on top. Have fun and get creative!
Merry Christmas from Active + Nourished!
So it’s another year over! Thank you so much again for your support and interest in Active + Nourished!
From my family to yours, we wish you all a happy and fun holiday season and look forward to sharing more ideas with you in the coming year!
In health and happiness,